Monday, August 6, 2012

Buttermilk Scones

A few years ago, we visited Mr. Clever Mom's grandmother in Arizona and I found a newpaper clipping of a scones recipe pinned to her bulletin board.  So, I made them.  They were delicious!  Nana has asked others to make the scones as well!  I copied down the recipe to bring home and make again.  I have since altered the recipe a bit to make it more to my liking... 

In an effort to do something "different" for breakfast on a Saturday morning, I decided to make these buttermilk scones.  They don't take very long which is often important in my morning baking!

 Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.  I am using my new glass batter bowl!  Yeah!


Cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas.  This pastry blender is flat on the bottom, so in actuality, it is better with a flatter bowl.  Oh well.  It did the trick but isn't the best combination...

Add random mixed fruit and/or nuts if desired.  The original recipe called for raisins or currants.  I used dried tart cherries and almonds! 

Add buttermilk and a small drip of almond extract or extract of your choosing and mix just until the flour is moistened.  Turn onto a lightly floured tea towel or board and knead 4 times.  Gently pat the dough to be 1 inch thick and (1) cut with a cookie cutter or (2) shape into a round and cut into wedges.  I always do the wedges.  Every time.  I just like a scone to be a triangle I guess!

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet or stone until lightly browned.

Slather with some good quality butter and sigh in contentment.

Buttermilk Scones

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 TB sugar
a couple good shakes of cinnamon (maybe 1/4 tsp or more??)
1/3 cup cold butter
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choosing
1/2 cup chopped lightly toasted nuts (optional)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp. almond extract OR
1/2 tsp vanilla extract, whichever you like for your fruit choices

Preheat oven to 450F.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon into a bowl.  Cut butter into flour mixture until it is the size of small peas.  Add dried fruit and nuts and stir to coat with flour.  Add the milk and extract, stirring just until the flour is moistened.  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4 times.  Gently pat dough 1 inch thick and cut with lightly floured cookie cutter, OR shape into a round and cut into wedges.  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet or baking stone until lightly browned, 10-20 minutes depending on size of your scones.  For larger pie-shaped scones, start watching around 15 minutes. 
Printable Recipe

Enjoy!

I have several scone recipes but I never seem to make any but this one.  I may have to give others a try so I can actually compare.... Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!