Monday, September 10, 2012

Salmon with Asparagus and Chive Butter Sauce

Do you need a fast, healthy dinner?  Here it is.  Salmon with Asparagus and Chive Butter Sauce, from America's Test Kitchen, The Best Simple Recipes.  I really like that cookbook and this recipe is just perfect.

A couple of weeks ago there was a great sale on fresh wild Sockeye salmon at my grocery store so I bought quite a bit and stuck it in the freezer in pound segments.  I wish I had purchased more!

This recipe is super fast because you use the asparagus as a bed to cook the salmon.  Everything is done in one pan and then you create a yummy white wine sauce at the end for the top.  Voila, dinner!

Salmon with Asparagus and Chive Butter Sauce
adapted from America's Test Kitchen, The Best Simple Recipes

1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
1 cup water
salt
4 (6 -8 ounce) salmon fillets, skinless and 1-inch thick
pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I have used regular)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Lay asparagus in single layer on bottom of a large skillet. Add water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to skillet. Season salmon with salt and pepper and lay across asparagus spears. Bring water to boil over high heat, cover and cook over medium heat until salmon is cooked through (until it starts to flake) and asparagus is tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer asparagus and salmon to platter.

Add wine to skillet, increase heat to medium-high and simmer mixture to reduce, 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in butter and chives and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over salmon and asparagus. 
Serve.
Zippity-zap, dinner is ready!  The clever girl said, "Momma, this is delicious" and cleaned her plate!  I can't even tell you how proud I was of her right then.  I am so blessed to have a child with a wide range of tastes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!