Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Carrot Cake Battle - Mini Cakes


I didn't start off with the intention of having a carrot cake battle, I really didn't!  I love to have carrot cake for Easter, and for reasons even I don't understand, I decided to try a new recipe instead of using my tried and true.

The new recipe is the Carrot Cake recipe from Confetti Cakes for Kids.  They were easy to make, they were moist and delicious, but I just didn't like how they LOOKED.  Nothing was wrong with them, I just like carrot cake to be a bit of a darker color on the inside.  These are light, as they have only carrots and walnuts in them, so the batter itself is a bit lighter.

So instead of using this for my Easter dessert carrot cake, I decided I needed to make a new carrot cake, and this one would go to church.  I cut them into little flower shapes with a cookie cutter (about 3 inch size) to make them "personal sized" cakes.


 
Notice the light color?  Seriously, this is a yummy recipe.  I am just a bit silly about baking sometimes.

I iced them with cream cheese frosting and made a little golden raisin design on the top.  Voila, mini-carrot cakes for church!  They were a big hit!

Carrot Cake
adapted from Confetti Cakes for Kids
3 cups (12 oz.) cake flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs
3 cups (21 oz.) granulated sugar
2 cups (16 oz.) vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups (15 oz.) shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Brush the bottoms and sides of 3 9-inch round cake pans with butter and line the bottoms with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.  Set aside.  In the bowl of a standard mixer fitted with a whip attachment, mix the eggs and sugar, beating them at medium speed for 1 minute, then on high speed until they are 3 times their original volume.  This will take about 4 more minutes.  Put the mixer on low speed and slowly add the oil, mixing until combined.  Keep the mixer at the low speed and gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.  Be careful not to overmix.  Gently stir in the carrots and walnuts.

Divide the batter evenly between the 3 cake pans.  Bake 30-45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.  You could instead use a half sheet pan (13x18 inches), cooking for the same amount of time.  Or, make cupcakes, baking for 20-25 minutes, or until they spring back after being touched.

Allow to cool for 20 minutes.  Once it si cool, run a thin knife around the edges to loosen it from the sides of the pan, and flip it out onto a cake board or platter.  Remove the parchment.

You can store the cakes in the freezer for up to 5 days, tightly wrapped at least 2 times in plastic wrap.
Printable Recipe

Stay tuned for part two of the Carrot Cake battle!!  There is more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!