Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Keyhole Top



The Clever Girl has a shirt from her school that she has to wear on field trips.  It is a generic squarish t-shirt.  She is not a fan.  All of her "square" t-shirts stay in the closet and rarely get worn, as they are "too big" for her.  At age 3 1/2 she will already tell me that "this is not cute".  Sigh.  So I was thrilled when I found a tutorial over on Craftiness is Not Optional about changing a regular t-shirt into a keyhole top.  The tutorial shirt has cute little cap sleeves, but I made E's into an "overall shirt" aka tank top.  She LOVES overall shirts.

Don't look too closely.  I am not great at sewing with knits.  I am working on it, though.  Practice, practice!  Here is the Clever Girl with 2 of her friends on the bus on the way to her field trip at a farm.  You may note the orange button on the keyhole.  She picked that one out herself!  I was proud.  Love the pop of color!

I generally followed the instructions on the tutorial.  After totally deconstructing the original t-shirt, I realized that since the t-shirt was basically her size, I could have just altered it instead of taking it all apart!  Ugh.  I will definitely do that next time!  I used one of the Clever Girl's favorite "overall shirts" as a pattern for the arm holes for this one.  I think it turned out pretty cute!   It turned into a shirt she is happy to wear!  That's a winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!