Saturday, October 13, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

The time has come again where I and a friend are in charge of the "hospitality" time at my church.  During the month of October, we bring the goodies to eat between services.  For the first week, one of my treats was Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins!  Mmmm.  I made them mini-muffins so they would go further (I'm no dummy!!), and I ended up getting a lot more than I expected!  The recipe said it would make 12 regular size muffins and I got around 40 mini muffins!  I don't know how that happened but I'll take it!

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins
adapted from twopeasandtheirpod.com
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups diced peeled apples (I used Granny Smith)

For the topping:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 TB melted butter

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spray with cooking spray, or use a silicone muffin pan with nothing!

In a large bowl, whisk the flours, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all-spice together.  In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla.  Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined.  Do not over-mix!  Add in the apples and stir a tiny bit, just until they are combined.

Make the crumb topping:  combine all topping ingredients and mix with a spoon until crumbly!

Fill the prepared muffin pan with batter, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full.  Sprinkle each muffin with crumb topping.  Bake for 20 minutes (check at 15 for mini-muffins), or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.
Printable Recipe

The muffins were a hit!  It was unbelievable.  We had these muffins, some brownies, some cranberry-walnut pumpkin bread, fresh fruit, carrots, crackers, mixed nuts, some snack mixes, and someone happened to bring in a pumpkin bread and EVERYTHING disappeared.  We kept refilling bowls on the table with what we could, but eventually there was nothing left!  We even ran out of coffee, which never happens!  I wonder what next week will bring!  (I am a little scared....)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!