Friday, October 5, 2012

Sweet Cornbread

When I was growing up, this is what cornbread was, it was sweet.  Not sweet like you are eating cake, but much sweeter than the versions I later discovered.  Please do not think I am thinking poorly of the non-sweet cornbread version, it is simply different than what is "normal" for me.  I use a non-sweet version every Thanksgiving for my cornbread stuffing!  However when I make chili, or a big pot of soup, or simply have the craving for cornbread (which happens A LOT), this sweet cornbread recipe is what I crave!

Start by blending sugar and oil.  I am certain you could choose something different than oil here, like melted butter (yum) or try a lower-fat version and substitute some unsweetened applesauce or maybe even plain yogurt for some of the oil, but oil is what the recipe actually says.  Where did the recipe actually come from?  I have no idea.  You'd have to ask my mom.  Once the sugar and oil is "creamed" as well as you can do with oil, add in 2 eggs.

 Whisk (or sift) together the flour with baking powder and salt, then add the cornmeal and mix again.

Now you start blending the dry ingredients with the sugar/oil combination, alternatively with milk.  You might notice I am using a hand mixer here.  You could use your stand mixer as well.  I was just in the mood for my hand mixer this time.  I'd hazard to guess I use the stand mixer 90% of the time.

Add in some of the milk, and continue that process until all of the dry ingredients and the milk are mixed into the batter.  Yum.  Now you get to lick the beaters.  Heaven!

Pour it into a greased and floured 9-inch square pan.  Honestly, I am not sure I have ever actually used a 9-inch pan as most of my pans are actually 8-inches.  This is my first time using a metal cake pan for the cornbread.  Usually I use a square Pyrex dish, which is actually what I think I would recommend.  If you use a metal pan, you will need to adjust the baking time quite a bit (shorter).

Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes.  I say approximately because I removed the above pan at 25 minutes and it was baked probably a tad longer than I like.  I like the middle to be cooked but still a bit soft.  Those are my favorite pieces.  In the glass dish, I start testing it at 25 minutes and go from there.

Cool the pan enough so you don't burn yourself and then cut some slices.  I generally cut between 12 and 16 slices, again depending on my mood!  You could eat this cornbread plain, slather on some butter, spread some honey on top, dip it in soup, whatever you choose.  The end result is simply delicious.

I hope you will try this cornbread recipe.  It makes me want to make it again just typing this blog post...  Mmmm.  So good...

Sweet Corn Bread
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup salad oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour  (I usually use half all-purpose, half whole wheat flour)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup milk

Cream the oil and sugar.  Blend in the eggs.  Sift or whisk flour with baking powder and salt, then add the cornmeal.  Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternatively with milk.  Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch square baking dish.  Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes.
Printable Recipe

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. This is the best corn bread recipe ever! I think Mom got it from Sunset - probably from the 1970s. Alisa drizzles honey over it before baking. This is what I think of when I think of corn bread too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, drizzling with honey... What an excellent idea. Brilliant!

      Delete

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!