Thursday, January 24, 2013

S'mores in the Kitchen

 

I used to think I needed a campfire in order to make s'mores.... but not anymore!!  Recently, the clever girl came home from pre-school and told me that she had made s'mores at school.  "Have you ever had a s'more?" she asked.  "Oh, yes", I responded.  It turns out they didn't use a campfire at school, either (thank goodness)!  They used chocolate covered graham crackers and marshmallow creme.  While I am sure that the kids thought that was fantastic, this is not exactly what I think of when I think of a s'more. 

So, the clever girl asked if I could make s'mores for dessert one night.  Hmmm.  I did not have a desire to start a fire in my backyard, nor to thread my mini-marshmallows on a skewer and stand over my gas stove with my 4 1/2 year old.  Surely I could figure something out.

And I did.  Folks, if you are a s'mores fan, here you go! First, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  This is for easy cleanup!



  1. Place appropriate number of graham cracker squares on the baking sheet.  Only put the BOTTOM graham cracker on the sheet.  Ignore the fact that I have both pieces on the sheet in the photo!   Place mini-marshmallows all over each square.
  2. Sprinkle/place chocolate chips on top of the marshmallows. 
  3. Put into oven on broil and WATCH CLOSELY.  In just a couple of minutes, the marshmallows will get that yummy browned look. Take them out of the oven and put a fresh graham cracker square on top of each s'more.  Happiness!
Don't leave the top squares of the s'more on the baking sheet like I did.  They get too browned.  Just leave them off until you take them out of the oven and are ready to eat!

Broiling them actually gives the marshmallows a bit of the campfire-y taste.  Perfect. 

The clever girl said "this is delicious, I think I should have another one!"  Nice try, kiddo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!