Thursday, August 1, 2013

Crispy Salmon and Arugula Salad with Carrot-Ginger Vinaigrette

I am cooking fish again!  I took a fish hiatus in my old house.  The combination of pregnancy and a not-great kitchen ventilation system did me in and I swore off of cooking all fish/seafood until we moved.  The old house had one of those vents that raised up from behind the stove, which in all honesty, is WAY better than no vent.  However it still does not get everything out and I just can't stand the smell of yesterday's dinner in my house the next day.  The new house has a ventilation hood system, which works way better!  (Did I mention yet that I love my new kitchen?  You'll probably just have to put up with me talking about it for a while, just to warn you.)  Anyway, I tried this new salmon recipe and it was DELICIOUS. 

The recipe is from Cooking Light magazine.  It is super easy (a huge plus in my book) and very tasty.  I highly recommend that you give it a try!  I will definitely make it again.  The clever girl has begged me to!

Crispy Salmon and Arugula Salad with Carrot-Ginger Vinaigrette
adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
1/4 cup grated carrot
3 TB fresh orange juice
2 TB finely chopped onion or shallot, divided
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons rice vinegar, divided
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
4 oz. baby arugula (about 6 cups loosely packed)
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
4 (6-ounce) fresh salmon fillets (I suggest wild Alaskan)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:
Combine carrot, orange juice, 1 TB onion, 1 TB olive oil, 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, honey, ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or small blender.  Process one minute or until well combined.

Place arugula, tomatoes and bell pepper in a large bowl. Add the remaining onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, rice vinegar and sesame oil and toss well.  Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss again.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle fish with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.  Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil to pan and swirl to coat.  Add fish to pan, skin side down.  Cook 6 minutes or until skin is browned and crisp.  Turn fish over and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.  Arrange  1 1/2 cups of salad on each plate, top with 1 fillet and 2 TB vinaigrette.
Printable Recipe

As you can tell from the photo, I forgot the cherry tomatoes in my salad, but it was great anyway!  The viniagrette reminds me of some I have had in Asian restaurants.  The bitterness of the arugula with the sweetness of the salmon and the zip of the vinaigrette is really a fantastic combination.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the clever girl has begged me to make this again.  She gushed over the delicious meal (so nice to hear when sometimes dinnertime is SUCH a challenge) and has asked several times when we will have it again. I win.  A delicious dinner and a happy kid all at the same time!

1 comment:

  1. My E just asked for salmon yesterday - I must try this! (And I thought it was quite rare for someone of his age to request salmon. I guess not! Birds of a feather, hee, hee.)

    ReplyDelete

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!