Friday, July 20, 2012

Oliver + S Badminton Skort and Top

 
I was so excited when I found out that Oliver + S was designing a pattern with a skort!  I have made skorts from knit material (if you can believe that!!) but not from regular cotton.  So not only does this skirt have built-in shorts (a necessity for every active little girl in my opinion), but do you see that cute scalloped edge?  I purchased this pattern right away.  It is the Oliver + S Badminton Skort and Top pattern.  The material is from the Hope Valley Collection of Free Spirit Fabrics, purchased from Sew Mama Sew.  

I actually made another coordinating top, using a sort of striped material for the background and the pink of this top for the trim in the other.  Cute.

The skort is a size 3 and the waist is very cinched in the back.  The elastic is only in the back of this skirt, so the side seams are actually wrapped a bit towards the back, to get the skirt small enough to fit my trim little girl.  For perspective, the clever girl weighs about 31 lbs.  I usually purchase size 4 clothes for her (depending on the brand) but they are often too big in the waist and I have to take them in.  Smaller sizes though, mean shorter lengths, and I'm generally not okay with shorter lengths in skirts!  I do lots of altering for the clever girl.

While the scalloped edge may look daunting, it was actually quite simple.  That just goes to show you how great Oliver + S patterns are.  They are very well written.  I highly recommend you look them up if you sew for kids.  (And no, I am not paid to promote their products!!)
 
The blouse is not supposed to have the trim along the bottom but I found that it was shorter than I wanted so I added the extra bit.  I actually made the striped blouse first, in the size 3, and it is big.  Wearable, but definitely too big.  The pink blouse is actually a size 18-24 month, made longer to account for the small size but then I still ended up adding on the extra trim along the bottom to make it even longer!  If you scroll back up, you'll see I did that bottom band on the striped top too.  These tops just run shorter than I like, I suppose.  I should have opened the arm holes a bit bigger for the 18-24m size, but it is fine.  She loves it!


I apologize for the blurred photos.  She is a quick mover and I probably should have had my camera set differently.  I hope you get the basic idea!


I wish they made this outfit in adult sizes!  I say that about lots of Oliver + S patterns.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!